PC boot-up slowing down

jz 22:03 02 Jun 2003

My 4-year-old PC running Windows 98 used to boot up quickly, as time went by, the boot-up time increased and now takes a few minutes to boots up.

I've removed lots of programmes I no longer use (including a few downloads, AOL and NTL gearbox) but it hasn't helped much. Defragging hasn't either. I have around 1GByte free on my 6GByte hard disk.

Someone told me that this does tend to happen over time, and the solution is to re-format the hard disk and re-install windows + user programs.

Why do things slow down? Is there a less drastic solution than re-formatting and re-installing?

Willow12 23:08 02 Jun 2003

You may have a lot of programs trying to start at boot-up, a lot of which probably don't need to.

Click Start, Run, type in msconfig, click OK and then select start-up. You will get a list of everything that starts at boot-up, it is then simply a case of unchecking the boxes that you don't need to be starting straight away.

Hope this helps

midase 23:14 02 Jun 2003

After a time the system builds up with all manner of junk which doesn't get deleted even after you have so called removed a program. You need to dlete all the temp files along with internet cookies etc. You can use disk clean up in your Accessories - System tools - Disk clean up or use third party sofware like Ultra Win Cleaner. Ultimately you may have to reformat.

DieSse 23:18 02 Jun 2003

Other things can also slow down the boot-up, such as having too many fonts installed - this can make a big difference.

jz 00:25 03 Jun 2003

Thanks for all your tips everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?