PC boot up freeze

wesparmalee 19:22 02 Nov 2006

I'm having problems with a new PC.As soon as i boot the computer, it freezes on the Dell logo.There is a progress bar that stops half way, and i only have two options on the screen, one saying press F2 and F11 to enter set up, both of which don't respond.There's no activity from the keyboard at all.I telephoned the technical support and they told me to unplug all the cables from the computer, and let any possible static from inside the case disperse.I then reconnected only the keyboard, mouse and restarted.This seemed to cure the problem, as it booted to the desktop as normal.I then turned it off to reconnect all the other relevant cables(modem, and speaker system) and the same problem happened again.I've now managed to boot up normally and plug my modem in, but i've got a feeling that once i reboot again later, the same thing will happen yet again.Any ideas what could be causing this?Thankyou.

FreeCell 20:02 02 Nov 2006

Sounds like some peripheral you have is causing the problem. Suggest you boot up with the keyboard and mouse and then try plugging in each device in turn and checking it's okay. Usually its usb devices that cause this type of problem ( but no guarantee in your case).

Check in Device Manager if any components are marked with yellow triangle. Would indicate possible item causing your problem.

If all seems okay you may have to disconnect all cables back to keyboard and mouse and reboot a number ot times adding another cable each time as it may just be the boot sequence that's affected by the problem item. Tedious I know.

rodriguez 20:23 02 Nov 2006

Try what FreeCell suggested, the problem could be the modem if you plugged that in after Windows started. If it keeps randomly happening, the BIOS could be corrupted which would render the motherboard useless so it would be best to send it back.

wesparmalee 20:29 02 Nov 2006

Ok i'll give these suggestions a try, thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone