PC Blowing Fuse Everytime - Help Please

Sibbo 14:19 14 Mar 2007

A friend of mine says that his parents PC blows a fuse virtually everytime that it is switched on. It's a basic PC with no added peripherals etc. They have a 13 Amp fuse fitted (don't know why), but it still blows. Is it a cable problem, power supply or something else? Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

johndrew 14:27 14 Mar 2007

There is something very wrong if a 13 amp fuse is blowing on a PC power lead. A PC should only need a 3 amp fuse - a 5 amp at tops to allow for any surge and aging. A 13 amp fuse blowing indicates that power in excess of a two bar electric fire is being drawn.

I would suggest that the cable be checked/replaced and if the problem persists the PSU be considered suspect.

phono 14:29 14 Mar 2007

For a start a 13 Amp fuse is way too high for a PC, they are asking for trouble by constantly replacing it, they need to have the mains cable and PSU checked by an expert ASAP.

phono 14:30 14 Mar 2007

I must learn to type faster.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:32 14 Mar 2007

swap the lead if stil same change the PSU

AND FIT A 3A FUSE.

woodchip 15:09 14 Mar 2007

Faulty PSU and or cable as above

Sibbo 15:10 14 Mar 2007

They are the suggestions that I came up with as a start point for my mate, but thought that I would ask here also in case someone could suggest something else. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone