PC beeping at startup

s99Raj 15:11 28 Oct 2013

I have a homemade pc which is now starting to beep at startup and nothing appears on the screen. I can't go any further.

It has an Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard in it. It gives one long followed by two short beeps. I believe this tells me that it's not recognising the RAM. I've taken all four RAM sticks out, cleaned them, cleaned the slots and put them back in one at a time into slot DIMM_B1 only, but still get the same beep code. I've tried about 10 other RAM sticks I have, but get the same beep code. I've also tried replacing the video card.

Any suggestions please? Thank you.

alanrwood 15:28 28 Oct 2013

I would check and confirm what the beep code is telling you on the Asus support site. It may be the code for a faulty video card or something else. There is unfortunately no set standard for the beep codes nowadays. Best to find out so you are not chasing your tail.

s99Raj 15:58 28 Oct 2013

The Asus website tells me exactly that - RAM is not recognised.

retep888™ 16:38 28 Oct 2013

Quoted: << I've taken all four RAM sticks out, cleaned them, cleaned the slots and put them back in one at a time into slot DIMM_B1 only, but still get the same beep code >>

Have you tried other slots?

lotvic 16:52 28 Oct 2013

If you have A and B banks, you should be putting the ram in slot A1 to test it.

s99Raj 16:58 28 Oct 2013

I tried other slots. The manual says to use slot B when using only one RAM stick.

retep888™ 17:04 28 Oct 2013

Probably time for a new motherboard ?

This is a brilliant motherboard back in 2005 ,still got one with AMD FX57 on (still working but too slow for today's application.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)