PC Backup PRO v11

Daveson 13:00 07 Apr 2010

Hello. I searched the forums for a topic like this but couldnt find one so here is my problem..

I recently installed PC Backup PRO version 11 that supports windows 7. I am a photographer and have alot of very important photographs that I cant afford to loose. I backed them all up to my 500gb WD Passport HDD no errors and all is good. Say I take another 50 photos, how do I add to that archive without overwriting whats already backed up ?

Also another great fear is that if my laptop goes broken and i have to do a clean install of Win 7 then will the PC Backup PRO recognise what its alredy backed up as the C: will be wiped with all the data.

Thanks.

johndrew 14:46 07 Apr 2010

For ease of future access of files on your backup drive and for ease of backup to keep up to date, have you considered doing your backups as a file cabinet?

You could simply backup on an alpha numeric basis (year/subject/month) and use a simple database to search and access those you may need to retrieve. May take a little time to set up but may well prove invaluable and time saving for the future.

johndrew 15:06 07 Apr 2010

Sorry, didn't address your second question.

If you have your photos backed up as either separate files or as part of a complete drive image you have the option to 'restore' all or part of that image to the drive of your choice.

If, for example, your laptop drive failed, you could fit a new drive and install the complete image of C: from the backup. If it was a few files which became corrupt, you could install those from a backup in isolation.

Backups can also be made as 'incremental` (only that data which has changed since the last backup will be stored) or 'differential' (all data which has changed since the last full backup is stored), but these can confuse and cause difficulty in recovery if you wish to operate a file cabinet type of storage.

However, if your data is irreplaceable, have you considered burning it to DVDs for storage in a fire proof safe?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache