PC attempting to dial up to the internet

Woodmouse 13:10 26 Aug 2004

Windows XP Home, ASUS Motherboard, 1.5Ghz CPU.
Last night I linked my two computers with a LAN cable to play Medieval Total War with a friend. It was a very successful evening, but every 5min or so, my main computer which has the modem, automatically dialled up the internet on it's own. What setting would have been tripped or set-up without my knowledge that is now causing my main computer to dial-up without my say-so.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:26 26 Aug 2004

Could have been something on friends computer trying to automatically update i.e. windows, antivirus, antisyware, or he may have a trojan / virus/

xania 13:48 26 Aug 2004

There are two stages in the dial-up process, opening the dial-up and dialling. Its some time since I last used dial-up but, if I remember, there's a tick box when the dial-up box opens where you can stop the system from dialling automatically. Un-check this box - at least, this way, you can ensure that the rogue program won't complete its connection.

billyliv 15:56 26 Aug 2004

Hi, Try the easy method. open your internet browser, Click on tools, Internet options, put a tick in 'Never Dial a connection' Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?