Pc assistance job assistance (sorry for the irony)

blob737 20:28 30 Jun 2009

I know the title is rather ironic, but i was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. i will explain.

I have fallen in love with skiing scince my school ski trip last year, and now want to begin racing, and save £800 for next years trip. well racing gear costs alone about £900, £700 of which is for skis, so, in total, by christmas, i need to earn £1700, which for a 15 year old seems oretty impossible. Currently i have 2 jobs, a paper round, which gives me £10 a week, and 1 day a week on a golf course, giving me another £20, so per week i currently have £30 income. Unfortunately, this will only earn me £750 by christmas, the time when i will require the full sum of £1700. right, well now the sympathy part is over, i can ask for advice.

Being a self confessed computer geek, and a who dares wins kind, im trying my absolute hardest to find some way of earning this money. i thought it might me a good idea to try to find a part time job in the computer world. now what i ideally want to do is to go to an old persons house, spend an hour or so teaching them/fixing their pc, and earn like £15 an hour. now im not suggesting that i only want to deal with old people, im just trying to explain the kind of thing i would love to be able to do, and make money at the same time during the summer. I can quite easily advertise through word of mouth, putting leaflets in my papers, and giving buisness cards to local shops, but i was wondering if i would need insurance or anything else anyone can think of.

Thanks

Sam

woodchip 22:01 30 Jun 2009

You need to go to Dragons Den they may lend you some

DieSse 22:13 30 Jun 2009

An excellent idea -

but if you're going to become "self-employed" - which is what this sounds like - then you need some proper legal and professional advice.

Here's some advice, for example

click here

Plenty more if you google for it. Don't let it put you off - the people who succeed are those who go for it and fight their way through the rules and regulations.

blob737 08:25 01 Jul 2009

thanks for the positive support guys, i now just need to work out a way of getting started, do you think £15 an hour is reasonable, or should it be less/more.

thanks,

Sam

tullie 08:41 01 Jul 2009

The problem is,is that people just wouldent believe that someone your age has the expertise with computers,good luck anyway.

blob737 08:45 01 Jul 2009

yeah that is my main problem, once i fix a few i hope that word of mouth will take over, and then that wont be as much of an issue.

Thanks

Sam

skeletal 10:17 01 Jul 2009

Firstly let me congratulate you for your good ambitions!

Secondly, just a thought, you are obviously very keen to do something by next Christmas, which or someone your age is about 10 years away. However, if all else fails, do not become too despondent, you can always try for the following year, or the year after, which hopefully will give you more time to save up. (FYI Christmas comes around every three months when you get older!)

Now to your question. I was faced with something very similar when I was about your age. In my case my geekiness was for electronics which I started to get into at around ten/eleven years old. If you think you may have problems getting work at 15, imagine an advert: “Radio repairs; good work; see Skeletal aged 11”!

At this point, the only stuff I did was for friends of my parents, who were totally disbelieving, but let me have a look at their broken stuff to humour my parents. They were amazed to get it back repaired.

This got me a trickle of work and kept me happy until about 15. Then, my Mum spoke to a work colleague whose boyfriend worked in a TV repair shop. This led to me being interviewed by the owner, who again did not believe I could do what I said, but said he would try me for a week (part time/weekends etc.). After the first few days I got a permanent job and a pay rise!

So the point of this life history (yawn!) is that I was getting the work by introduction; can you do this? Ask you parents/friends parents etc. try to get a name for yourself. Also, the TV repair shop was a small independent. There may not be many of these kinds of businesses around in your area, but they would be worth a try. Try to find one, go in and see the owner. Say you will try to repair a PC for nothing and if you do it, can you work part time for him (only you know how good you are of course! Money where your mouth is and all that).

As for payment, this is where I am hopeless and my advice here is to seek the advice of others! I always feel guilty about asking for money. Ultimately, it was for this reason many years later, and after getting full time employment, that I stopped doing repair work. You will find you will eventually get more work that you can handle when you don’t ask for payment! So, if you want this to turn into a full time career, you must sort out the “boring” part of getting the correct payment to cover your time and all your incidental costs like travel expenses. And to allow for giving people estimates for work, which don’t turn into an actual job. Etc. etc.

Whatever you do, good luck!

Skeletal

crosstrainer 13:14 01 Jul 2009

As skeletal has pointed out, you will need to be insured, and properly accredited if you want to take IT on as a career.

However, (and I hope will will have an Olympic skiing champion in the making :))

Try a leaflet shot. Print an A3 size leaflet, explaining your skills, and deliver them (perhaps mates could help?) in you local area. £15 is cheap, and if you know your stuff, and people trust you, you will be amazed at how quickly the word spreads!

I wish you all the best of luck....Nice to see a young adult with some "Get up and go" :))

Terry Brown 13:26 01 Jul 2009

I know a reasonable amoumt about computer systems and software, and will repair 'Word of mouth' computers- I do not advertise, just let people whose computers I have repaired speak for me.

For this service I charge a flat fee of £30, regardless of time spent plus the cost of any hardware required.

I do this as a hobby only, as I work full time.

There is another way you may not of thought of and that is trading on an Auction site (like Ebay), however you will need a credit card ID (Will your parents help?).

Good Luck
Terry

crosstrainer 13:33 01 Jul 2009

Agreed. But consider this as a side line rather than a full time occupation. As you correctly state, you fix / configure etc. for a flat fee for people you know.

That's fine, those who make use of your talent's are aware of the fact that it's not your main job. Considering the amount of novice users in any neighborhood, this is an excellent way to proceed, and £30.00 is still very cheap.

Before we know it, this young man will become a full time IT consultant (qualifications notwithstanding)

blob737 21:37 01 Jul 2009

thanks for the advice again guys. where would i go about getting insurance then?

thanks,

Sam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?