Pc almost freezes when burning cd's to hard drive

rastamanblues 13:09 04 Feb 2006

When ever i burn a cd to my hard drive using i-tunes, windows media player, sonic-stage etc ive tried them all, my pc goes really slowly and if i press ctrl alt del, the program that im using to burn my music to my hard drive, is using about 90-100% of the cpu, but this only happens when im actually burning the cd to my hard drive, its fine if im just using the programs to listen to music thats already on there, so to summerise, my pc's fine until i try and burn a cd to my hard drive then its slows right down, and sumtimes freezes or doesnt respond, any help would be greatfully apreciated thanks

MichelleC 14:52 04 Feb 2006

There's an option to 'use DMA if available' is in device manager/properties on drive; make sure it's checked.

rastamanblues 23:55 04 Feb 2006

I cant seem to find 'use DMA if available' box, where exactly is it/should be?

rastamanblues 20:42 05 Feb 2006

It initally didnt do it, but has now started to do it, and it means i cant put any music on my pc, any help?

MichelleC 08:44 06 Feb 2006

Try turning off non-vital background or startup progs click here

Go to Device Manager,IDE ATA ATAPI/Controllers, open each drive and look in Properties.

rastamanblues 18:33 07 Feb 2006

have tried all your suggestions none have worked, my pc only goes like this when i upload a cd its fine the rest of the time, and it has only just started to do this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?