Is This PC Advisors Problem ??

The PC Doctor 18:03 11 Jul 2004

Whilst in the helproom I noticed a cry for help I possibly could help someone with.

Having composed my reply I used to post messgae button and this form was displayed.

I don't suppose that this a was an intentional PCA thing but it's quite worrying.

click here

€dstowe 18:07 11 Jul 2004

Do you think it wise to post dubious click here's?

The address of this forum does not contain PCA in it at all whereas your link does. Have you been searching in places best left alone?

Djohn 18:18 11 Jul 2004

Might be best to contact FE and ask him to remove the link. Have you done a scan for virus recently? Try posting to this thread again, see if you have the same message appear.

VoG II 18:20 11 Jul 2004

It isn't a dubious click here - it is an uploaded screenshot.

spuds 18:25 11 Jul 2004

Wind-Up?

The PC Doctor 18:42 11 Jul 2004

Em err sorry mate you've lost me....

PCA = PC Advisor The link is not a dodgy site (It's mine) and I called the Webpage PCA.htm on pyrpose cos it relates to the PCA (PC Advisor site) and this thread.

Unless you mean that the PCA WebDesign forum is dodgy?!?!?

Yes it is a screen copy of the result of my clicking a PCA (PC Advisor) button - Free carrot to my mate Vog, lol

I actually thought it would be easier for people to see what not to click yes on....

As soon as this happened to me I did a virus scan (Kaspersky Labs) I also did an AdWare v6 scan both reported no problems.

Ok I believed them but needed to dig a little closer - I first searched the registry (RUN & RUNONCE) and lo and behold there was a call to a nice little exe hidden away.

After I ferritteded (is that a word)around I found the culpret 'tginiw.exe' in my Win2K>system32 folder on checking the properties of this file it tells me that it was created by click here

Now I'm always one for putting two and two together and coming up with 5,384 so I can only prsume that this file which I didn't ask for has been downloaded by underhand and generally syrup-titus means.

The point of this post was to originally warn people watch out this could happen to you now further to that check your system for this file then get rid of it.

No I don't believe it's actualy on the PCA site but it is activated by using it.

The PC Doctor 18:45 11 Jul 2004

I don't believe it - it's happened again!!!!

Djohn 18:56 11 Jul 2004

I've now clicked on your link to check and see it is just a screenshot you have put up. Thanks VoG™ :o).

Are you saying that you get the actual link when you post to PCA forum? Also done a google on 'tginiw.exe' but it doesn't find anything. j.

wee eddie 19:31 11 Jul 2004

I picked up one similar to that from that source recently.

The Spires 21:10 11 Jul 2004

click here TDS-3

The Spires 21:10 11 Jul 2004

click here TDS-3

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?