pc advisor virus?

bic biro 07:12 19 Mar 2008

i installed Ashampoo AV from the coverdisc of issue 153 april and then done a scan on my pc only for it to find a virus,(virus found SPR/TOOL.WIRKEY in g:/D:\FEATURES\UPGRADE\wirelesskey)
i ran norton av on this folder and it finds nothing,anyone noticed this yet?

eedcam 07:26 19 Mar 2008

Have you googled it
click here

Diemmess 07:31 19 Mar 2008

Do you mean you have two different AV programs installed now?
A recipe for bother!

keef66 14:31 19 Mar 2008

Install 2 AV products, and they'll each find the other and tell you it's something nasty.

I'll have a scan of the disk tonight using AVG, see if that identifies anything.

bic biro 23:21 19 Mar 2008

it appears some tools find this while others dont,i suspect those that find it dont really know what it is so they report it as a virus because its suspicious to them not knowing,i had norton to start with and uninstalled before i put ashampoo in,i know 2 installed and they usually clash at some point but now and again i will run a different one as they often pick something the other wont,according to what i found with google others have came across this as well

m800afc 04:58 20 Mar 2008

I have AVG Free and Avast On my computer. AVG is fast and does the basics quickly. I never put a virus in a vault. I always delete it. When I down load a file It is first scanned by AVG. I then use AVast on demand. This is slower and more thorough. I do not have the programmes running concurrently.

One question though. If I download a compressed file, such as Newfile.rar is the virus product able to work on the file before it is unzipped? I scan both before and after, just in case.

dogbreath1 10:31 20 Mar 2008

Right click on Newfile.rar and choose to scan with your AV. Works for me.

Also, Avast claims to have a p2p 'provider' which scans incoming traffic.

Terry Brown 11:10 20 Mar 2008

You could also try A2free, which is a stand alone Virus checker, it does not run in the background, but only when you start it.
Terry

mfletch 15:14 20 Mar 2008

Upload the file to here and let it do a scan it uses multiple Antivirus scanners,

click here

woodchip 15:22 20 Mar 2008

You have loaded another AV when you already have Norton. You will get conflicts.

As you should only have one AV on your computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?