PC Advisor site slow and freezes frequently

compumac 12:13 08 Feb 2015

This is my third attempt today to make this post as the site freezes.

I have four PC's three run Win 7 and one runs Win 8.1 all using IE.

PC Advisor website is the ONLY site on any of the PC's that I have a problem with in that it loads very, very slowly. One can live with that but the tab on IE that holds the PC Advisor freezes are you cannot do anything but close the tab down. All other tabs function as expected. This scenario is displayed on across all my PC’s.

Does anyone else has this difficulty? It is hard to believe that I am alone in this.

tullie 12:29 08 Feb 2015

No problem here,Windows 8.1x64

compumac 13:00 08 Feb 2015

I should have added that it is not just today that this has happened, it has been in evidence a number of weeks now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:03 08 Feb 2015

No problems with Chrome, try a different browser.

compumac 21:44 08 Feb 2015

Fruit Bat/\0/.

Appreciate reply but why do not others who use IE have the same problem?

rdave13 22:14 08 Feb 2015

Site is sluggish with IE 11 but Spywareblaster helps.

compumac 10:07 10 Mar 2015

Since my initial post indicating the ONLY tab that freezes is the PC Advisor forum, I would now say that fifty percent of the time this happens. - NO OTHER tab displays this problem. I take on board about using another browser but if I am happier using IE11?

I also feel that generally it is one of the slowest to load of any of the sites that I visit.

One must wonder as to whether this is the reason for the time scale between postings compared to the past wherein replies to postings were coming at quite a pace.

Aud650 10:38 10 Mar 2015

I am also having lots of trouble on my iPad with the site ,very slow and freezes,every other site is perfect.also sent messages to the advisor but no answer,I am very new to this site and would like help.

Secret-Squirrel 16:17 10 Mar 2015

"I also feel that generally it is one of the slowest to load of any of the sites that I visit."

I agree too. The numerous scripts, trackers, and media-rich adverts make using the site a frustratingly slow experience for most users who don't have any browser add-ons installed to help with those problems.

With a powerful ad-blocker (or two) installed the site will load quicker and be much more responsive. I'm guessing to don't have one installed. "Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer" isn't as configurable as the Firefox and Chrome versions but it should help a great deal. You can get it from here.

Some fellow members use an additional add-on called Ghostery (to help block the PCA trackers) as well as Adblock Plus and they say it further improves the performance of this site. I've never used it myself though.

compumac 19:51 10 Mar 2015

Secret-Squirrel.

You were correct! A few months ago I had a problem that was attributed to Do Not Track Plus and/or Adblock plus and since removing those that particular problem went away, so they were removed from all of my PC's. My main PC is a relatively new unit and I did not think to put Adblock Plus on to it bearing in mind those previous problems. I did think that you might be correct, so tried it and lo and behold - instant access to PC Advisor.

Thanks for reactivating my very grey cells.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?