PC Advisor site freezes my PC

hssutton 10:38 26 May 2010

Actually not quite true, but it's taken me over 10 minutes to send this help message. All other sites that I visit work normally. I'm guessing that it's due to the ESeT scrolling sidebar adverts.

I'm using Firefox with the Adblock Plus add-on, but to no avail. I don't normally have this problem and I'm not sure how long this advert has been running, but the I've had the problem for the past few days.

Any help in solving my problem would be appreciated as at the moment PC Advisor is just a no-go area

provider 2 10:58 26 May 2010

Which subscription filter are you using with Adblock Plus?

I have EasyList (USA), which blocks out most things.

Right-click ABP icon> preferences.

mooly 11:36 26 May 2010

Over the years every single "IE not responding", and freezes etc have all been down to this site, have posted about it several times.

This is also the site that instantly starts the fan on my laptop, presumably all the ads and scripts running.

The latest issue was "catching" highlighted words that open ads... and instant lockups. That seems to have been resolved though.

Graphicool1 11:41 26 May 2010

If Provider 2's solution doesn't fix it, why don't you contact the 'Forum Editor' and see if he is able to offer any advice?

canarieslover 11:44 26 May 2010

I have also been having problems with slow loading on this site using Firefox. Unable to scroll down the page for several minutes. After doing all the usual malware, virus & trojan scans with no improvement I installed Google Chrome which seems to have sorted out the problems with this site. I'm not 100% sold on Chrome but it does seem faster all round so I shall persevere with it for a while longer.

provider 2 12:41 26 May 2010

Adblock Plus with EasyList says 13 out of 57 items blocked on this page, which sounds like an awful lot to me. I have two, one inch wide, black parallel bars vertically down each side where, I`m guessing, the Eset ads would be.

I have no slow-loading here with Firefox but with IE 8 it`s clearly a two-stage process: all black first, then the rest and it`s not long before my fans speed up, especially on a warm day.

NO answers except to use Firefox here, with Adblock Plus enabled.

Graphicool1 14:21 26 May 2010

I haven't got any problems with this site. I don't use any ad blockers, just IE7 pop-up blocker set to 'medium'. Yes there is an ad at the top and another to the right. I can't however see the one on the right, because I size the window to exclude them. If my mouse pointer happens to wander across any of the underlined green words on the page, I then usually get a pop-up movie ad.

Graphicool1 14:26 26 May 2010

I've just seen this on the Net, it's FREE (Donation Ware)
System Requirements
- Internet Explorer version: IE6, IE7 or IE8
- Windows version: 2000, XP, Vista or Windows 7
- File size: 0,7 MB

It's called...'Simple Adblock'
click here

Graphicool1 14:38 26 May 2010

I downloaded it, installed it and NO ADS on this page.

kdt 15:18 26 May 2010

me too. thanks

hssutton 17:32 26 May 2010

many thanks, I've installed Simple Adblock on IE and no adverts whatsoever.

I guess these adverts are self defeating, the downside is I will now have to use IE instead of Firefox.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?