PC for 1000.00

watty123 14:41 21 Mar 2003

HI,
I posted a request last night so late most were in bed, but thanks for the 3 replys there in the think tank right now.
But, I'd like to reap now during daylight.
I am going to get a new Pc...
Whether......
1. Dell.?
2. Campus?
3. Mesh?
4. Time?
Any of you guys have any experience or advice to a average novice P C user?
I' appreciate your thoughts and will feel more secure with a bit of expert/informed advice..
Thanks
watty.

mikef™ 14:57 21 Mar 2003

To really help can you say what you want to use it for as this would make a difference to what recommendations that will be made, particularly as the choice for £1000 is hugh.

watty123 15:08 21 Mar 2003

Hi Mike,
Well I don't need the state of the art PC,
Some games,, some surfing,,, some home business,,
Web cam Tv out DVD CD-R preferable a TFT monitor not essential though.
I wonder id that helps?
cheers.
Watty

mikef™ 15:42 21 Mar 2003

First place I'd look is on this site and see if any of these would fulfill your requirements click here remember these prices DO NOT include VAT so you have to add about £120 to the quoted price.

mole44 17:10 21 Mar 2003

go to evesham mines from there and in 5 years nooo problems.

Mick 17:17 21 Mar 2003

Evesham without doubt,customer service second to none

Gongoozler 20:54 21 Mar 2003

Personally I would avoid Time. I have no objections to the hardware, but I really don't like the way they configure the software. Evesham have a good reputation. Mesh are also good. They did let their after sales service slip, but I think they have now got it under control. In the April PCA top 10 at about this price, Multivision have the top entry, followed by Evesham, CCL and again at No 4 is Evesham. I see that Evesham have a 2 year onsite followed by 1 year return-to-base warranty

watty123 00:08 24 Mar 2003

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm narrowing to Mesh or Evesham.
You to Mike for the link to the reccomands in pca.
Much appreciated.
Watty

Andsome 08:43 24 Mar 2003

If you have a good local shop discuss it with them. You can have a machine built to do exactly what you want it to do. You won't waste your money on so called free extra's, which of course are included in the manufacturers costings. You won't have to pay for software which you will never use. You won't wait for ages for an answer from a premium rate telephone help line. You won't wait in for an engineer who will not turn up as arranged. You will probably get the machine built within a week of ordering. If any problems occur the builder is on hand to offer immediate help. Best of all your machine will not be delivered by an unreliable courier, risking getting dropped or thrown about their depots. Go for it, I did and have NO regrets.

Gongoozler 09:50 24 Mar 2003

I agree with what Andsome said, but I think he should have put the word good in capital letters. A GOOD local shop is an invaluable source of help, but there are also many bad local businesses. These are often set up by people with insufficient funds or technical or business knowledge, and by the time you need help with your badly configured computer they will be out of business. The only way to know a good one from a bad one is by reputation.

pj123 21:01 24 Mar 2003

If that is the sort of money you have available, go ahead. But why not try click here and compare their prices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?