Paypal, is it worth while?

Willow12 19:26 15 May 2003

I have set up a PayPal account as it seemed to be an ideal way to pay, and receive payment, on Ebay. However I have never used it as the charges seem unclear!

The PayPal site seems to indicate that there are no charges for transactions, but a small one to withdraw your money.

However I have heard that you get charged when someone pays by Credit Card (which most people would do online). Can somebody give me the lowdown on this please.

Thanks

hugh-265156 19:41 15 May 2003
  A15 19:41 15 May 2003

I used Paypal a few months ago & shortly after closed my account with them as I could never log in to my account. I sent numerous emails to Paypal & did not get one reply. On saying that they were in the middle of upgrading their systems to replace the Billpoint system on Ebay. I do not know much about the charges but I believe it is around 3% to withdraw money to your bank account & can take upto 10 days.

I use Ebay quite a bit now & I use Nochex from click here I find the service fast & not too expensive. They do not charge for somebody to pay you or for you to make a payment from your Nochex account. The fee for withdrawing money to your bank is 99p or 1% whichever is greater & takes a maximum of 3 days. They also have "pay me now"links that you can paste into your auctions. I am sure their are lots of people out there who have had good experiences on Paypal & would call me a whinger! but I find Nochex much more suited to my needs.

otubby1 19:55 15 May 2003

I am registered with Nochex and was talking with a collegue at work today who informed me that they have been taken over by Paypal.

I haven't bought anything for about two months so I don't know if this is true. I'm going to check it out - no pun intended :)

The Spires 20:03 15 May 2003

I have used Paypal ofer a dozen times without any problem.

hoverman 20:35 15 May 2003

I have used Paypal for a long time now but only as a buyer on eBay. Never had any problems and I now restrict my bidding to sellers which use Paypal. So easy and so quick.

bpzoom 22:05 15 May 2003

Agree entirely with Hoverman, I have used PayPal for well over a year, fast, efficient, secure no problem at all, and no charges of course if you are buying. Never used it as a seller, but know others who do and seem well content with it.

A15 23:58 15 May 2003

Ah well as they say there's always one, & this time I am it!!

Must have just had a run of bad luck when trying to log into Paypal, but as I say it was throughout the time Ebay were replacing Billpoint with Paypal. Maybe I will try again now.

Willow12 19:22 16 May 2003

Specifically does anybody know if there is a charge as a seller if someone pays using Credit Card?

Thanks A15 You make a good case for Nochex, I'll have to look into it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?