Pay Pal phishing

golfpro 07:02 13 May 2008

I received an email this morning purporting to be from Pay Pal, saying that they where checking details of accounts and asking me to open the mail and answer questions regarding my account. I think it was a scam as it had a couple of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in the text.
I did not open it so can not give anymore details, but this is a warning just in case somebody else gets one.

€dstowe 07:30 13 May 2008

On the VERY rare occasions that PayPal might contact you they will always use the name or moniker that is on their records. Things addressed to "Dear PayPal Member" and such like are guaranteed to be scams.

Always, if you have any doubt about the authenticity of an email, contact the company involved to check but NOT through any address given on the suspect email.

eedcam 07:43 13 May 2008
  Halmer 08:44 13 May 2008

I had a similar one recently. I paid for an item on ebay via Pay Pal. The next day I received an e-mail (purportedly from Pay Pal) informing me that the payment had been blocked due to suspicious activity.

I'm really carefully normally to the point of being neurotic about IT security but it's easy to see how somebody could fall for it. I presume that the fraudsters must trawl e-bay for sale completions and buyer e-mail addresses?

I clicked on the e-mail link (I know I shouldn't have done) and interestingly the K9 Child Protection software on my XP PC reported it as a phishing website and blocked it. Superb little piece of unintrusive but effective free software for anyone interested!

hiwatt 09:34 13 May 2008

I also had one.I thought it was genuinely from paypal because I had just used paypal to pay for something.It said It had limited my account.I typed click here in the address bar and asked what the email was all about.I just now clicked on the link and got a "red alert" from firefox toolbar saying the site is a spoof identity fraud site.

hiwatt 09:41 13 May 2008

That click here isn't the link from the email.I typed the address of paypal.co.uk in the address bar.I didn't know if I typed www. it would appear as a link lol.

pgj 10:14 13 May 2008

Just remember Paypal nor any other such financial organisation will ask you for your information in an email.

If ever you get an email from one of your online pass-word protected contacts do not follow the links in the email.
Log in to the company in the usualy way and if they require something from you you will find it there.

Be safe and use common sence and the internet is a great place to do business.

Sea Urchin 10:33 13 May 2008

"Just remember Paypal nor any other such financial organisation will ask you for your information in an email."

I think you meant "will NOT ask you....."

jolorna 10:39 13 May 2008

i get those emails and i don't even have a paypal account also to email adresses i don't even use for ebay i just mark them as spam

pgj 08:49 29 May 2008

"Just remember Paypal nor any other such financial organisation will ask you for your information in an email."

I think you meant "will NOT ask you.....""

I thought the word 'nor' made it clear enough?

Stuartli 09:24 29 May 2008

To some extent (I had the same initial reaction as Sea Urchin), but it would have been even more clear if you had stated something on the lines of .."will never ask you...for personal information.."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?