To pay or not to pay for internet security?

camilla11 11:15 31 May 2008

Hi all, which internet security should I go for, to pay or for free, that's my dilemma! Past experience with Norton is that it slows pc down, I've got a new pc now with 320gb hd and 1gb ram and I am in the process of re-loading all my software.
Please help. Thanks.
Camilla11

RobCharles1981 11:24 31 May 2008

You should really help yourself by using the
"search forum" at the top of the page its been covered before more than 1000 times.

click here

mooly 11:27 31 May 2008

I use F-Secure Internet Security 2008. Never had any problems. Technical support first rate. It works silently in the background and I have never had any issue with spyware adware etc. Use FSecure's own firewall and turn off Windows Defender.

ol blueeyes 11:27 31 May 2008

Do what I do every 90 days Download the MS Windows Live OneCare

birdface 11:59 31 May 2008

I suppose it all depends what you need it for.I only use freebies and have no problems with them.I don't like security suites.I prefer having individual programs then I find it is easier to repair one of them than them all.I did have Norton/I/S for a couple of years and had nothing but trouble with it.

Georgie68 13:00 31 May 2008

I too ditched Norton a couple of years ago and run
ZoneAlarm firewall and Avast anti virus - both are free and i've had no problems with either.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:38 31 May 2008

I cannot think of any good reason for a home user to pay for any 'security'.

G

audeal 13:47 31 May 2008

I use Avast Anti Virus and Comodo Firewall, both free and excelent software. Like Gandalf says no need to pay for your security (or anything else, for that matter) when you can get it free, that would be silly!

skidzy 14:34 31 May 2008

RobTheOrganGuru has linked you to a page i created a while back,these apps will serve you just fine..no need to pay for anything.

acein1 15:06 31 May 2008

camilla11,no need to buy anything thers plenty of FREE stuff available.
by the way if your new p/c is "vista" i would suggest that you need more than "1gb" of ram to run anything other than "vista basic",if you are not using "vista" then please ignore, regards

Pine Man 15:44 31 May 2008

I have just posted this in Consumerwatch if you are interested. click here
I know a lot of people don't like paying but if you want a 'suite' you've got to and what I've got is excellent value.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?