Patch,Crossover - What Cable's What

  Pererin 21:10 17 Aug 2006

Hi gang, can someone please explain to me the difference between network patch and crossover cables. Are the two the same or for completley different uses? As usual simple answers for simple person !

  ade.h 21:40 17 Aug 2006
  mgmcc 21:44 17 Aug 2006

To connect two computers directly - "Network Adapter" to "Network Adapter" - use a *CROSSOVER* cable.

To connect a PC's Network Adapter to a Hub, Switch or Router, use a *STRAIGHT-WIRED* cable.

That is the basic rule. There are other situations, such as "daisy-chaining" hubs/switches where a crossover cable may be necessary if there isn't an "uplink" port or if the devices don't have auto-sensing ports.

  Pererin 22:09 17 Aug 2006

Thanks folks, that will save me going around in circles once again !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?