Pasword Problems

cthooli 18:58 01 Jan 2004

When starting up the computer there is always the option to hit F2 to enter setup or delete or various other options. I recently went into this after not going in for a long time and its asking for a password.l However it must have been set so long ago that i dont remeber doing it! I can easily start up the computer as the password isnt required so is there anywhere in windows where the password will be stored? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
C

Big Elf 19:03 01 Jan 2004

If you're talking about the BIOS password then the only way I know is to remove the motherboard battery for a short time and then replace it which will reset the BIOS. Make sure you note down ALL the BIOS settings before doing this.

Demora 01:47 02 Jan 2004

On Some motherboards there is a password jumper pin. this can be flicked not sure how it works as I've never had to do it. (one on diagram of KT7 RAID MoBo)

If you finally get into the BIOS and want to set a password put it in a very safe place, for instance on the inside of the casing plates. OR in the motherboard manual.

Demora

ahales42 02:12 02 Jan 2004

of course if you have my comp which was recently stolen then simply email me , i`ll give you the password. I know you did`n`t, but see how easy it is to get passwords here.

Forum Editor 02:19 02 Jan 2004

about telling people how to bypass a BIOS password (or any password for that matter), and I'm sure you'll understand why - we don't want to be responsible for someone's data being compromised by an unauthorised third party.

In your case I'm sure that we need have no worries however, so here's how to do it:

Open the case and take out the small silver CMOS battery from under its retaining clip. Leave it out for at least ten minutes before replacing it and booting the computer. With luck you'll not be prompted for a BIOS password, and all will be well. In some cases this doesn't work - particularly on laptops - and if that happens in your case you should try leaving the battery out for 24 hours - then try booting.

Many motherboards have a CMOS shorting jumper which you can use to drain the CMOS data. You'll need to switch the jumper to a different pin configuration, and you'll find information about how to do that in your motherboard manual (which you kept in a safe place of course).

Another trick, which tends to work with slightly older BIOS chips, is to overload the keyboard buffer, and you do this by booting the machine without the keyboard an mouse attached(Obviously this is no good in the case of a laptop).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?