Passwords for Mozilla Thunderbird

Glen 19:46 13 Jan 2009

I can easily access the web using internet explorer, but wanted to shift to Mozilla Thunderbird. I have installed v. 2.0 but it demands a password. My broadband ISP password does not work. Nothing I have triedgets me past this message. Why is a password needed, and can I work around it?
Glen

Stuartli 20:33 13 Jan 2009

Thunderbird is an e-mail program.

Stuartli 20:34 13 Jan 2009

You need Firefox:

click here

Glen 23:05 15 Jan 2009

How on earth do UI find the password. Nothing I ghave ever used seems to work.
Glen

Sea Urchin 00:05 16 Jan 2009

Firefox is a browser - an alternative to Internet Explorer. You don't use a password to access it. If you can get on the Internet with IE then you should be able to do so with Firefox

DieSse 01:03 16 Jan 2009

Are you really wanting to browse the web - or are you looking to use Thunderbird to collect you email.

If you want to use it for email, you will need user name and password to talk to you email account.

Who is your email account with?

cocteau48 08:27 16 Jan 2009

...and if you do wish to use Thunderbird as an email client rather than Outlook Express the easiest way to set it up is to use its ability to import your existing/working account settings from OE (rather than setting the account up manually in Thunderbird)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017