Password storage and encryption together

cowgirl66 13:40 28 Aug 2008

Hi, I am seeking advice about security for my Windows Vista.

I installed software yesterday; KeyPass. It is a password manager and a very good one it seems. But I have found that should I bypass this software and go directly to a log-in page, I can login just as before and any kelogger could find a way into my computer. You might think it odd to use a straight forward log-in process when I have KeyPass! But there are some log-in pages where the user name is an email address for instance, where KeyPass won't work (unless there is a way around it which I haven't discovered yet.)

Would encryption software such as KeyScrambler (qfxsoftware.com) work side-by-side with KeyPass or not? I really don't know about these sorts of things but am very security conscious after all the things we read about.

Regards cowgirl66

brundle 13:52 28 Aug 2008

Not sure what you expect Keepass to do - it's primarily for storing the passwords securely, not automatically filling in the login boxes on webpages etc - though there are plugins for it that will do that. You need to clear your browser auto-fill/auto-complete history to stop browsers from logging in automatically.

You might want to take a look at Roboform. click here

cowgirl66 14:23 28 Aug 2008

I realise that KeyPass is primarily a Password Manager. I didn't need a plugin for it to fill in login boxes either as that comes with it as AutoType. The reason I'm not going for Roboform although I know it's highly rated is because I'm familiar with KeyPass, I like the interface etc and it stores stacks of passwords for free whereas Roboform charges you if you want to store more than ten or so I believe.

My main question here and I'm sorry if I haven't made myself clear, is that I would like to use KeyScrambler too for encrypting passwords when I am unable to use the AutoType login method provided by KeyPass.

Hope that makes my question clearer or is it still mud?

brundle 15:23 28 Aug 2008

I think I've been talking about a different program anyway ( click here ), I didn't know there was one called Keypass.
This one? click here

I'm only familiar with the former, not the latter.
Your question was clear, my mistake for assuming you meant something else. I don't know the answer except to say if you keep your machine free of nasties with all the recommended measures then you are much less likely to need the belt-and-braces approach of encrypting passwords even as they're being passed between programs. Of course if you're using a flash drive on someone else's PC and can't be sure how secure it is, don't access things you want to keep safe at all.

cowgirl66 15:55 28 Aug 2008

no you do have the right KeyPass, brundle. But as KeyPass itself says, it is only a way to safely store passwords and does not protect against keyloggers. That is why I have finally decided to run KeyScramber from the taskbar as well. I don't have to install it and will do what it says it does; scramble all the digits up when typed.

Thanks for your help,

cowgirl66

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?