Password protection

gav223 12:53 16 May 2009

Hi.

Can someone tell me if it is possible to passwor protect my portable harddrive and usb stick.

I have downloaded truecrypt, but after reading through the instructions I don't think it's what I'm looking for.

I just want to have to enter a password when either of my storage devices get plugged in.

Many thanks.

radi8or 08:49 17 May 2009

gav223,

Have a look here click here

HTH Bob

gav223 10:45 17 May 2009

Hi Bob.

Thanks for the link.

Before I go any further can you tell me if this is similar to Truecrypt.

I'm not really sure how Truecrypt works, but from what I have read it sounds as if it encrypts the hard drive so it only works on the computer that you encrypted it on.

I wanted to know if it could be used on multiple computers, but a password had to be entered before it showed the contents.

Many thanks.

radi8or 11:43 17 May 2009

gav223,

Just had a quick look read click here from what I can make out if you load it on eg. C drive you can encrypt the whole drive or create a password protected volume(folder?) into which you put your files, entering the password gains entry to the volume,

OR

You can mount it on a flash drive, create a volume of big enough size for your files and run it on any computer from the flash drive.

I think. :0)))

Cryptainer does the same but seems simpler or maybe the way Truecrypt is explained makes it seem more confusing, or it could be me.

HTH Bob

gav223 16:28 17 May 2009

Hi Bob.

I decided to try Cryptainer and have downloaded it.

It says that the free version only gives you 25mb of space.

My hard drive is over 100gb.

All I am looking for is that when I plug the hard drive in it asks for a password before opening anything.

Does this exist or does it have to be this type of encryption software.

Many thanks.

tca 22:58 18 May 2009

I have a query on same subject... I use the "Roboform" togo that hols details on a USB stick. ... Does this or ANY other program really PROTECT you internal Passwords etc. I do not store my back card deatils nor the password for any finacial sites.. back, Ebay , Paypal etc..

TCA

radi8or 08:57 21 May 2009

gav223,

Sorry didn't get back earlier, work intervened, don't know if you have decided on something else but is this click here any use, unfortunately not free.

The Home version ($19) doesn't support NTFS.
Pro version ($39) does, seems to do what you want.

I have bought the Home one and have it on a 64gb flash drive.

HTH Bob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?