Password Protecting a USB Drive

bucko1986 16:59 17 Jan 2010

Hi all,

I am trying to protect my external hard drive but I am finding it very difficult to find the right software that will do this for me.

Basically I would like to 'password protect' my whole drive (not just individual files) so that every time it is plugged into a computer a password is required to access the folders.

Can anybody recommend any software (free is possible) that will help with this.

My HDD - Iomega eGo 500gb

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

rawprawn 17:16 17 Jan 2010

Not free, but I have been using it for years and I can recommend it.
It will will protect a whole drive or any folders you choose.

rawprawn 17:17 17 Jan 2010

Sorry forgot the link
click here

bucko1986 17:36 17 Jan 2010

Thanks for the response. I have just installed the program. Which method of protection do I select to enable a password on the drive? If I select lock then this makes it completely unaccessable. I just need to enable a password so that when it is plugged into other computers it requires a password.

I have just installed the trial version for now.

Thanks again

Batch 17:55 17 Jan 2010

Maybe not quite what you were asking for, but TrueCrypt click here should do the job. You can set it up to encrypt an entire partition or an individual file (which will appear and work as a disk when you use it).

rawprawn 18:17 17 Jan 2010

Add your USB Drive to HF, and select Hide and Lock.
When you want to open it Open HF using the password, and click "Disable" You can then access your drive.

bucko1986 20:57 17 Jan 2010

Thanks for your help guys - have decided on returning my HDD though and getting a new one with data encryption already on it! Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache