Password Protected Workgroup

5P!3R!0 22:39 09 Nov 2005

Hello there.

i have recently bough a belkin wireless router/modem and am connected to the internet hassle free. i had a bit of trouble actually connecting the two computers (one laptop and one desktop) together. i am able to see the two computers in the "View All Available Workgroups". with the laptop, i am able to access the desktops shares, but with the desktop i am unable to see the shares on the laptop (it keeps asking for a password). but i recently formatted my laptop and have set no passwords.

has anyone got any suggestions how to get round this or find out my password???

Many Thanx 5P!3R!0

Forum Editor 22:41 09 Nov 2005

any password.

5P!3R!0 15:54 10 Nov 2005

i didnt kno what you ment by that, but nothing works. i have disabled my firewall temporarily to try it but it didnt change a thing.

5P!3R!0

mgmcc 23:01 10 Nov 2005

In the PC which is denying access, have you actually set at least one folder as "shared" by right clicking it and selecting the Sharing & Security option?

By default, File & Printer Sharing is disabled in Windows XP and an attempt to access it without enabling Sharing will result in a prompt to enter the (non-existent) Password. The first time you set a folder as "shared", XP asks if you want to enable File & Printer Sharing. Thereafter, you *shouldn't* be asked for a Password.

5P!3R!0 15:25 11 Nov 2005

I already had file and printer sharing enabled and i already did all of the sggestions you posted before hand. although i tried it earlier thismorning and it now works. i dont have a clue what made it work but now im happy that i can share.

Thankyou very much for your suggestions and time

5P!3R!0

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?