Password protected files

harrythegoat 13:01 04 Jun 2007

I have a machine which was running XP with 5 users. 2 users had password protected accounts.
The motherboard failed and had to be replaced so I upgraded. The existing Windows installation would not boot up with the new board so I re-installed onto a new disk and am transfering the old documents etc from the old disk. I can not get into the documents relating to the old password protected accounts. Any ideas
I have tried creating an identical user with identical password on the new installation, but no luck!

recap 13:04 04 Jun 2007

Whilst logged in as an Administrator if you cannot gain access to these folders from Explorer, you may have to have Permissions. Right click the folder/s and select Properties/Security and add the admin to the Permissions option with Full Control.

Marko797 17:27 04 Jun 2007

Harry, try this:
Click Start, and Run
Type "Control Userpasswords2" (without "s but observe the spaces)and press enter.
Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
Click Apply and Ok. Hope this helps.

harrythegoat 19:06 04 Jun 2007

Hi guys, thanks for the prompt advice. Unfortunately no luck. When I rt click the file and select properties/sharing I don't get a permissions option. I have used the control userpassswords2 and checked that administrators have full control. Still no luck. Maybe it is because my old windows was just XP and the new installation has media centre. And of course the files re not on the same drive as the current installation.
What do you reckon would happen if I tried re-installing the old windows on the old drive? Would I lose the files?

harrythegoat 21:23 17 Jun 2007

Have now sorted this - had to log into safe mode as administrator then Right click on the Documents & settings folder on the old drive & select Properties, Then select security, then select advanced, Then select owner,then select replace owner on subscontainers and objects,Click apply, OK, OK etc.
Thanks for all the advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?