Password Protect Folder

turnip 60 00:39 06 Jan 2005

Can someone please explain how i can password protect a folder so that only I can access it. I run windows XP pro. regards

ACOLYTE 00:47 06 Jan 2005

click here

click here

Most are just trials but should do what you wont,or you can right click the folder select properties/sharing and tick make private then only you can open it,i should say only your logon if you are not logged on and someone else is they cant open your folder.

turnip 60 00:49 06 Jan 2005

Many Thanks ACOLYTE

ACOLYTE 00:51 06 Jan 2005

click here

This one might do the trick it free and when i read it it looked good.

Forum Editor 00:57 06 Jan 2005

you can make the folder private, so nobody else can access it. On a non-networked computer all your folders will be inaccessible to other users anyway, provided they have separate user accounts.

WindowsXP doesn't provide a way of protecting individual folders with passwords but if your budget can run to $24 or so you can buy an excellent little utility called folder lock that will enable you to lock any file, folder, or even a whole drive with a password. The protection quality is pretty robust, and you can get folder lock if you
click here

sarbezir 15:05 15 Feb 2005

If you want to have more security control on your files and folders you have to use NTFS partition. so first of all you must decide to convert your partition to NTFS. you can use "convert" command from commandline to do that.

When you have an NTFS partition, you can use any security limits you want on any folder or file. Dont forget to run MyComputer, go to "Tools" menu, select "FolderOptions", click on "View", and clear the check box for "Use simple file sharing" item.

You want to put a limit for a folder then ? right click on that folder, click "Properties", select "security" tab, delete all names you dont want to have access on it. then only those users who are in that list have access on that folder.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 15 Feb 2005

Hide and lock any drive you want in group policy.
This is done on the client machines.
Open up group policy (gpedit.msc), User Configuration >Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Explorer.
The two policies are about a quarter of the way, down the page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017