Password protect Files on shared laptop

collinsc 19:52 12 Feb 2014

Hi Can anyone advise how i can password protect particular files on my laptop so i can share my lap top with a room mate for internet access only?

Many Thanks

Secret-Squirrel 21:24 12 Feb 2014

".....so i can share my lap top with a room mate for internet access only"

I think the best solution is for you to enable the Windows "Guest" account and your room mate logs onto that when he wants to use your laptop. Not only will your files, e-mails and other data be inaccessible, it'll also prevent your room mate from installing stuff or changing any settings that may damage your laptop.

If you're interested and need more help with the Guest account then post back your version of Windows.

collinsc 21:54 12 Feb 2014

Hi Secret-Squirrel I'm on Windows 7. That sounds ideal.. yes, id appreciate further help on how to set this up. many thanks

Secret-Squirrel 09:41 13 Feb 2014

Go to Control Panel-> User Accounts -> "Manage another account" link -> click on the "Guest" account icon -> "Turn on" button.

Log off your computer and Guest will appear on the Welcome Screen. It doesn't require a password. Go in and check that it meets your requirements. To reiterate what I said, all the files and folders stored in your personal folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, etc) will be inaccessible and neither will the guest be able to install or make any system changes. Internet access will be unaffected.

xania 10:27 13 Feb 2014

In case the obvious has been missed - you will need to ensure that your login is password protected and make sure your room mate never watches you log on

collinsc 15:38 15 Feb 2014

many thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?