Password problems!

Dougie168 21:32 19 Feb 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a wireless laptop to a home wireless network, but the problem is that I've forgotten the WEP key for the router. I've found my hex version of the password, but can't seem to find any online conversion software, etc that is successful in turning the hex back into ascii. Am I going about it the wrong way or is there another way to do it? I'm using a Belkin router. Thanks in advance.

Kemistri 22:07 19 Feb 2008

I just got thousands of results for "hex to ascii conversion", many of which should provide what you need.

Out of interest, why leave your network half open by using WEP? If you router and/or adapter are THAT old (WPA has been a prerequisite for Wifi Alliance ratification for years now) then it is time for a new router and/or adapter.

Dougie168 22:16 19 Feb 2008

Yeah I tried them (well, maybe like the first few pages) but none of which seemed to give me a feasible answer.

But anyways, issue is resolved after we finally pieced together the individual clues as to what the password exactly was ..!

Sorry my mistake, I'm actually using WPA/WPA2 encryption (not being tech-minded, I'm not sure if that makes any difference) but the hardware aren't actually that old. I am aware new technology brings greater security, but to be honest, who'd want to hack into a student's network where most of the time is spent on social network sites? Thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated.

Kemistri 22:34 19 Feb 2008

"who'd want to hack into a student's network..."

You have internet access; there are plenty of folk out there who want to use it [a] free of charge and [b] free of identification. You can imagine why. It could be argued that a student's network is at greater risk if anything, rather than less.

If you read this forum fairly frequently, you will probably know that WPA is a very secure protocol that is basically impossible to crack, while WEP is trivially easy with a few minutes and a bit of knowledge.

Glad you're sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?