Password problem

aitch2 11:56 09 Aug 2008

Last week I picked up the 'XLG Security Center(XLGuarder)and I am forever being prompted to run this software. After a google search and using the forum I am now attemting to do a repair. I cannot get into windows, or access the internet but after advice have now got the Windows CD in the laptop to do the repair. Although I can get to the Setup screen and press 'R' to repair, I am being asked for the 'Admiistrator password' before I can continue. Obviously the password is lost, but I dont think that there was one for the administrator, or myself as the other user. Have searched the forum archive but those responses rely internet or through the start menu which I can't get. Is there any way around this or other advice someone can give? Laptop is HP Compag nx9005, WinXP Pro + SP3. I can afford to do a complete re-install if that is the only option. Thanks
Aitch

tullie 11:59 09 Aug 2008

What happens if you leave the password prompt blank?

aitch2 12:02 09 Aug 2008

I press enter to continue but then it asks for the password again, it is invalid. After three attempts it then reverts to try and load windows with continuing with the repair.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:01 09 Aug 2008

boot from a DOS disk or Linux CD.

for DOS
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Remove DOS boot disk and reboot the PC

for Linux the procedure is the same
use the Linux to access the system volume information restore folder and then copy the files from the restore folder to the c:\windows\ system32\.... folders

Reboot the PC on complettion.

aitch2 14:07 09 Aug 2008

Unfortunately, I don't have a boot disc for DOS or Linux. I only have an OS Disc for WinXP Pro that came with the laptop. Could I use this to do a re-install?

aitch2 14:09 09 Aug 2008

Sorry, forgot to add that I have a WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI floppy, or am I misunderstand it's usage?
Aitch

Ditch999 17:06 09 Aug 2008

Try the repair option this way instead click here Note point 9!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?