password problem

jonski 20:53 18 Jul 2006

Hi folks, a bit of a problem..my sisters husband died from cancer 2 weeks ago and my nephew called me tonight and asked me if i could have a look at the pc..its running really slow...but the problem is...his dad was logged in as the system admin and he apparently had a 13 digit password at log in...i`ve tried running msconfig and downloaded a couple of password recovery proggys to no avail...is there any way of finding out the password.? and..if worse comes to worse will i be able to format the pc without it.?

silverous 21:04 18 Jul 2006

What is the operating system? Certainly with Windows 2000 you can get tools that allow you to change/reset the administrator password...once you'd done that you should be able to change other users' passwords.

You can certainly format the PC without it but let's see if we can't find away around that.

Sorry to hear of your sister's loss.

jonski 21:11 18 Jul 2006

the system is running winxp home edition..with 5 user accounts inc the admin..thanx for the help and the kind words.

Taff™ 08:06 19 Jul 2006

I assume that 4 of the accounts are "Limited Accounts" and the other is a "named" account (i.e. Not Administrator) If that`s the case the real Administrator account may not be locked by the password.

At the log in page press CTRL+Alt+Delete Twice and Type "administrator" in the user account and leave the password blank. If that doesn`t work try passwords such as "administrator, admin etc"

Method two - boot into safe mode and try the same with the administrator account there.

If this works go to user accounts and change the passwords. If it doesn`t post back and we`ll give you a link to a Linux based Distro with tools to recover admin password.

silverous 08:16 19 Jul 2006

I've successfully used the EBCD mentioned in the link below, but the floppy option discussed sounds good also (which I haven't tried)

click here

Taff™ 08:29 19 Jul 2006

Similar to Silverous click here Use the NTFS Password recovery utility. Follow the link and just download that tool for now.

jonski 19:46 19 Jul 2006

ok guyz thanx...i`ve downloaded both and will go and try them at the weekend...thanx again for your help...much appreciated.

VoG II 19:59 19 Jul 2006

If no luck with those click here

Diversion 20:02 19 Jul 2006

This program will reveal login names click here

Diversion 20:07 19 Jul 2006

And Passwords Sorry about that.

Methedrine 20:18 19 Jul 2006

Try this

click here

My condolences to you and your family.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?