Password management software?

Pineman100 17:40 25 Jan 2010

I'm after some software to manage all my various passwords. Ideally I'd like to be able to store a list of passwords, securely hidden behind a "master" password.

I'm prepared to pay for really good software, but if there's a good freeware package, so much the better!

Personally used recommendations much appreciated.

exdragon 17:46 25 Jan 2010

I've used Whisper for years, it's free and can be downloaded here click here

I've also got Roboform click here which you can try before you buy.

I keep meaning to amalgamate them, but it's another thing I haven't got round to yet.

I'm sure people will also suggest a password protected worksheet!

rawprawn 17:46 25 Jan 2010

Only one answer from my experience, RoboForm
click here
I have been using it for years, and it is really good. All future updates are free, and it checks regularly.
I have more than 120 passwords stored with one master password.
Not only does it store passwords, but also personal data such as credit cards, which it will fill if asked.

GaT7 17:55 25 Jan 2010

I would recommend LastPass click here - it's like RoboForm, but free. Firefox & Chrome addons at click here & click here.

I also have the paid-for version of RoboForm (RF) as a backup. You can get an older free version of RF that will save ~30 passwords from click here - choose version 5.7.6. G

Pineman100 18:35 25 Jan 2010

for your very prompt replies and recommendations.

Roboform looks great, but for the moment I think I'm going to try LastPass. My wife and I both want to use this software, and a 2-user licence for RF is about $45 - enough to make me try the free stuff first!

LastPass seems to do pretty well everything that RoboForm does (as you said Crossbow7). It certainly does everything (and more) that I was looking for.

Crossbow7 - my security software (Norton) didn't like the oldversion.com website. It warned about malware. Have you had any problems?

Anyway, many thanks again to everyone for taking the trouble to give me your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Paddylad 19:26 25 Jan 2010

click here is one I came across in a magazine. Might be worth a look at.

The Brown Rock 21:31 25 Jan 2010

I always shudder when I'm reminded that I have not entered any 'credit card' numbers- I just cannot bring myself to do it; How certain can we be that these are absolutely safe- a question?

GaT7 23:29 25 Jan 2010

The Brown Rock, I've been using these for years with none of my details been stolen. G

GaT7 00:02 26 Jan 2010

"my security software (Norton) didn't like the oldversion.com website. It warned about malware. Have you had any problems?"

No, I didn't have any problems on that site.

I've since found that this particular version is available directly from the RF website click here. Incideentally it's the last free version that can save 30 passwords - the newer free version does only 10. G

The Mountaineer 12:31 26 Jan 2010

Sorry a bit late with the post.
I now use Keepass click here
used to use Roboform and changed but I can't remember why!
There's a portable version of Keepass too so I use this on my travels and keep the database synced between memory stick and laptop at home

Pineman100 18:21 29 Jan 2010

Thanks again, everyone. I'm currently trying out LastPass, and on brief acquaintance it seems excellent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017