Passing on a malicious programme or virus?

spuds 12:32 11 Dec 2013
Answered

This no doubt will be a very crazy question for the more knowledgeable, so not being more knowledgeable I will go ahead and ask anyway.

Is it possible to pass on a computer virus, or an embedded malicious programme from one computer to another, if they are linked together, say by cable or connecting devices?.

As an example, two or three computer's with one monitor, printer, router etc?.

Jollyjohn 12:55 11 Dec 2013

Yes.

Scan a file before sharing it

Scan it again on the PC you have transferred it to

Avast Anti virus automatically scans executable files before allowing them to be installed or run.

spuds 13:00 11 Dec 2013
Answer

Jollyjohn

Thanks for that information, because I have often thought about this.

I use Avast, so it looks like I have the right defences?.

wee eddie 13:01 11 Dec 2013

While I agree that Jollyjohn is correct, the Malware has to be invited in.

The another PC on the Network needs to open a file containing the malware, it doesn't just burrow along the cables, once on one PC in the Network.

However, when it infects one PC, it can infect every file on that PC. So each PC needs it's own protection.

SimpleSimon1 14:41 11 Dec 2013

wee eddie

"it doesn't just burrow along the cables, once on one PC in the Network. "

Sorry, that's precisely what some viruses can do (the CryptoLocker ransomeware being the latest example), assuming that we're talking about networked connections.

The OP asked about scenarios involving multiple PCs and one monitor or printer. Those are fine since, assuming we're not talking about a networked configuration, the computers are considered standalone. However, as soon as computers become networked they are potentially vulnerable to being infected by another PC on the network. It all depends on whether the particular virus is programmed to automatically spread via network stacks/shares and what 'network lockdowns' are in place. For example, if you're unlucky enough to be infected by a CryptoLocker variant, not only will it encrypt your files but, by default, it will automatically encrypt files on any other network PC drives which are shared and which you have access to. Also it will encrypt server shares, as well...very not nice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017