Partitions

k_g2000 14:35 19 Mar 2003

Hi, I had ME as an op. on a 1 partition drive(40gig), using partition magic I split this drive into 3 partitions the shown sizes are 2(extended) 10(primary), 25.4 gig(primary). ME is on the 10 gig partition and as I set the 25.4 gig partition to be active ME became unaccessable from boot up. I put XP on the active partition and left the 2gig for data. The partition ME then became hidden due to non-compatability I unhidd this partition and as far as I can tell everything is intact. Is there a way to make ME active again as an op. And maybe have a dual boot? And access all programs.
k_g

bruce 16:51 19 Mar 2003

k_g

If I understand correctly, you now have:
c - 2 gb extended (for data)
d - 10 gb primary (ME)
e - 25.4 gb primary (XP).

I *think* you have to have your active primary partition in first place on your hdd, so you should put your 2 gb data partition at the end of your hdd, not the beginning, ie change your hdd to look like:

c - 10 gb primary (ME)
d - 25.4 gb primary (XP)
e - 2 gb extended (for data).

Partition Magic will do this for you (wonderful program).

You should have been able to use the advanced install feature of XP to install a dual boot. You could always use Boot Magic (which might be included in your copy of Partition Magic, dpending on what version it is).

k_g2000 17:17 19 Mar 2003

Hi bruce the system is a friends and ME was allready on the drive so I don't have a disk to re-install and he wants to keep all his programs on ME. Also now I am unable to access PM because the partitions drive letter can not be identified for some reason.(I'm using PM 7.0)
Thanks for the help.
k_g

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)