Partitions

john bunyan 14:09 18 Dec 2007

I have a MCE PC with a 320 gig hard drive. I am about to get a second 320 gig hard drive in a removable caddy. I also intend to get Acronis True Image 11 so will regularly back up. My hard disc is only used, yet, at about 50Gig. My interests are photos (Photoshop CS3) and my grandchildren have music plus usual Word stuff and I sometimes record TV.Should I partition either or both drives - maybe keep system files on one partition? Maybe keep photos on part of second drive plus back up to DVD? I am on NTFS and have heard it is not neccessary to partition. I do regularly defrag etc.

recap 14:22 18 Dec 2007

Your set-up is fine john bunyan. Keeping the system files on the C:, ensuring that you give this drive at least 30gb. Setting up user accounts on one partitioned drive, should solve the rest of your problems.

rawprawn 14:22 18 Dec 2007

I see no reason to partition, but many disagree on the grounds that if it goes belly up you lose everything whereas if it's partitioned you stand a better chance of recovery.

skidzy 15:37 18 Dec 2007

Agreed backup to the external drive and also make those backups saved to the external drive with ATI.

If you was to rely on the main drive and the partitions and this crashed/died...you could lose everything.

Personally i backup my ATI images to the external drive and anything really important,is backed up again to cd/dvd.

john bunyan 16:29 19 Dec 2007

Thanks , all, for your advice. skidzy.I am buying a "removable" caddy that acts as a second SATA internal drive with its speed advantage but can be stored in another place if required. I will take your combined suggestions and mark this as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?