Partitioning those programs

Willow12 14:51 02 Jun 2003

I am about to use Partition Magic 8 to partition my 80gb HD into 5 parts. My first partition is to be Primary for XP being C: and I wanted to have a new partition D: for my main programs as I wanted this Drive to take the next fastest/leading edge. Can I move my existing programs from C: to D: once the partition is created? Don't advise me to uninstall and reinstall to D: as in most cases I have deleted the Setup file for the Programs (not my best ever decision I know). Obviously the programs will be fragmented around the C: drive, so does that make it impossible to move them over?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use Windows XP as my OS which uses the NTFS file system.

My expertise is beginner (but slowly getting better!!)

leo49 16:59 02 Jun 2003

"Can I move my existing programs from C: to D: once the partition is created?"

You CAN move the program folders but they won't work - for the simple reason that all registry entries,etc for the programs will be pointing at C.You may not want to hear it but if you want to move the programs the only way is to uninstall them and reinstall on D.

There really isn't much point in doing it as the programs will all write entries to C so if for example you had to reinstall your OS,you'd have reinstall the programs again on D so that the necessary registry entries would be rewritten.

Regards

Willow12 17:26 02 Jun 2003

Sorry, but I didn't understand your second paragraph!

Are you saying that I shouldn't put programs onto D: even by uninstalling and reinstalling? Or were you just referring to my existing programs that I don't have a set-up file for?

leo49 17:40 02 Jun 2003

Whatever drive you install programs on,those programs all make entries into the Registry on C so that Windows can run the program.At the moment,all those entries tell Windows to look to C for the processes you want a program to perform.

If you uninstall the programs and reinstall in D then that is where Windows will then look. However,should you have to reinstall Windows then those entries in the Registry will no longer be there,thus your programs won't work and you will have to run the setup for them again for the necessary registry entries to be rewritten.

To sum up - I wouldn't bother.

Hope that's clearer.

Willow12 17:50 02 Jun 2003

Yes that is a lot clearer thanks. I have noticed that a lot of people who state what they have in their partitions use the C drive purely for their OS. Thus leaving the potential problem that you stated. Would I be right in assuming that (notwithstanding the fact that you have 6 OS partitions!!) you keep programs on the same partition as its operating OS?

P.S. Have you got a different OS on each of the 6 partitions or have you doubled up? Perhaps to prevent your previously mentioned problem!

Cheers

leo49 18:13 02 Jun 2003

Before I got into flecc's 'strip the rubbish from Windows'philosophy and was running just one ME OS, I used to have a separate partition for the programs.I did this purely from the size convenience aspect as it meant I could burn an image of my OS partition on just one CDR and the program image on another.[It did mean that the images had to be restored in pairs].

Once I got into the whole Speedos thing though that became unnecessary as the image of OS and programs on the same partition comfortably fitted on one CDR.

At the moment I've got a 98based-speedos,2xMEbased ones,2k,XPPro,and an ultrastripped ME which just plays games.

With XP it's so bloated in comparison with 9x systems before any programs are installed that I just bung the programs on.

Each OS is on it's own partition and entirely separate and hidden from the others- which means I can run programs like PM and DI in one OS to operate on the hidden ones so that it never needs to drop down into Dos.

Regards

Willow12 18:42 02 Jun 2003

Didn't understand all of your last link but got the gist of most of it! Is it still worth have a separate partition to download files to? In case they muck-up my system. I suppose I can always download to a separate partition, run then from there and if they are O.K. I could choose to uninstall from that partition and drop the set-up file into C: to reinstall it!

I think I am now looking at C: as primary for XP and programs (how many gig do you think I would need for this - not expecting you to mind read how many programs I have, more an indication of how big XP is!), D: for new downloads, E: for my documents, F: for Word, Excel etc., and G: for a Drive Image of C (would my G: drive still be a Logical Partition if it has an image of C: which is the Primary? - God I am getting a headache!)

Does that seem O.K.?

I know that everone has a different opinion on the best way to partition but as I am only a 3 month old in the PC world I need all the bottle feeding I can get!

Cheers

leo49 19:37 02 Jun 2003

Forgive me if you already know this,but if you use Drive Image to back up your C drive it only needs to image the USED space and compresses that volume by up to 50% resulting in an Image file so it's stored like any other file on a Logical partition.

I would have thought your OS and programs will be easily accomodated on a partition of 7-8gb[that's being very expansive].

I've got a lot of big programs and together with XP they only use 2.5gb[But I do have a separate partition for all Temp/swap files].

Hope that gives you some idea.

Regards

leo49 19:42 02 Jun 2003

Sorry last sentence should have read:

I've got a lot of big programs and together with XP they only use 2.5gb of a 6gb partition.

Willow12 19:56 02 Jun 2003

I have never understood about Temp files as they don't seem to be anything I ever deliberately create, but rather the system creates them for me! How do I access them and what are they for?

Thanks for your patience

leo49 20:09 02 Jun 2003

For Temp files see:

click here

View Temporary Internet Files via:

Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Temp. Internet Files/Settings/View Files

These contain data from web pages you visit so that IE can quickly reload a page when you revisit it.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017