Partitioning + linux (need help)

new214 14:48 30 May 2008

Heya all, Im want to install linux alongside XP on my pc however I realise I need to create a partition first.

My problem is after I accessed disk management and right clicking c: there is no option to create a partition - how do I go about this?

If it helps my harddrive is 70GB of which
C: is 70GB with free space of 50GB

I also have a recovery partion (which was already part of the pc) which is about 4gb - but isnt part of the C:

smy13 15:45 30 May 2008

Most of the popular linux distributions have a partioning tool included. The one included with PCLINUXOS is very easy to use from the live CD, just make sure you read all the prompts that come up very carefully before you comitt to any action

smy13 15:47 30 May 2008

forgot to add I've only tried this with XP

new214 16:18 30 May 2008

Ok thats kool but how about if I decide to try to dual boot vista instead of linux (with xp installed first on the pc) - what would I need to do - as I dont have an option to create partition on my xp pc?

smy13 16:58 30 May 2008

The install manager will not only partition your drive it'll also create the option to dual boot. I'd suggest using a few live CD's of diffrent distributions first so you can go with the one you feel most comfortable with, as once you've created a dual boot system it's can be difficult to get rid of

smy13 17:03 30 May 2008

click here
click here
click here
click here

I'm sure others will have some other reccomendations

skidzy 20:50 30 May 2008
  new214 16:59 31 May 2008

ok im abit confused about these posts - do you use a 3rd party software to partion an xp disk? Ive now got a vista dvd and want to install that as a dual boot. How do I partition my xp drive?

The windows help facility says: "Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click New Partition" - however Ive tried it through disk management but there is no option of doing it through that. Ive even tried to do it via command prompt but no luck.

skidzy 17:07 31 May 2008

So no Linux now ?

Just xp and Vista !

How to dual boot wnen xp already installed;
click here

ol blueeyes 17:13 31 May 2008

I've tried approximately 5/6 Linux os but don't see the point can't get them to do much. Printer didn't want to know it at all even though I searched and searched for the correct Drivers.
must say though Internet Connection was simplicity itself (probably suited me, being simple)

skidzy 17:31 31 May 2008

You may find PCLinuxOS2007 will be the best for you,as this many drivers.

Two of the forum members (Octal and Lastchip) may confirm this as they have excellent knowledge of Linux distro's.

here is a thread i started regarding LOS,takes a bit of getting use to but persevere and you will get there click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?