Partitioning Hard Drive

SteevScotland 00:06 28 Jan 2003

I am about to reformat my hd and would like to set up XP in its own parition, programs in another and files and documents in another. I have a number of questions That I hope you can help me with.

1. What sort of sizes would you recomend for each partition (my hard drive is 120GB)?

2. Is it possable to move the MY DOCUMENTS and PROGRAM FILES into their own partitions?

3. Finally How do you set all the documents and files up so that they can be shared over a network?

Thank you for your help!

Cheers S

WaTcHiNg 00:14 28 Jan 2003

1) I use a 6GB system partition just so I can have a 1GB swap file and 1Gb for hibernation

2) Program files - I wouldn't do it
2) My Documents yes. Right click My doc from explorer and select 'Properties' then 'Move'

3) Right click the folder to share, click 'Sharing' Use the instructions there. You can do it manually as well but it's so long since I did it, I can't remember the security messages you get along the way son won't even try.

Good luck

SteevScotland 01:05 28 Jan 2003

Thanks. I'll Keep all that in mind when I reformat in a couple of days.

Cheers S

Gongoozler 09:52 28 Jan 2003

SteevScotland, I agree with WaTcHiNg regarding Program files. Even if you give them their own partition, they are so integrated with the Windows installation that you couldn't format one without affecting the other - and that would be the only reason for having separate partitions. Also many programs are not happy being put on anything other than the primary partition. In my Windows 98se installation I also have an E: partition for backing up the C: partition. With the XP system restore utility this may not be quite as important as in W98, but could be useful just in case of a major disaster in Windows. I know that backing up to a partition on the primary drive is not as good as backing up to a different drive, but in my experience Windows disasters are more common than hard drive failures.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?