Partitioning a Hard Drive

KAI 19:44 12 Oct 2006

Hi, I have two hard drives on my computer, the C drive carries my operating system which was factory loaded and I have the restore disc, it is within Norton Ghost, my second hard drive is just a small one but I have it partitioned, D and E.
I use D to do my back ups of downloads and so on, my E partition i use for My Documents instead of having it on C drive.
My Question is, Is it possible to partition my C drive with out affecting my XP home ?, I only use at the most about 11 gb at any one time and it is 80gb, so I don't use most of the drive.
When I partitioned my second drive I only used the Disc management system from within XP, could i do the same with my C drive.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kai

martjc 19:51 12 Oct 2006

...try partition magic.

click here

even the evaluation version is useful.

lotsaluck!!!!

ed-0 19:52 12 Oct 2006

" When I partitioned my second drive I only used the Disc management system from within XP, could i do the same with my C drive."

No. Disk management will not work for the C drive.

To partition C, you would need to purchase third party software. From personal experience, Acronis does a great job of partitioning C.

Is there a special reason to partition, is it for back up purposes. If it's just for storing data, why not create general windows folders and store in there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017