Partitioning an external HD.

Meshuga 16:20 26 Oct 2006

I have a Western Digital 60gb external hard drive which at present has an image of my PC hard drive on it created by Acronis TI. This uses 24gb space. I would like to partition the remaining free space, possibly using partition magic or a similar prog. Can I do that without formatting the hd and starting with a blank drive? and how easy/difficult is partition magic to use bearing in mind that I have never done this before. My pc has xp home sp2. Any suggestions welcome.

Bob The Nob© 16:21 26 Oct 2006

Use partition Magic, is simple and easy and wont erase the drive.

Bob The Nob©

Meshuga 16:26 26 Oct 2006

Bob The Nob Thanks for that. Is there a free version of Partion or if not do you know the cost please?

Technotiger 16:26 26 Oct 2006

In a word - Yes.

Technotiger 16:28 26 Oct 2006

In a word - Yes.

Partition Magic .... click here

Meshuga 16:28 26 Oct 2006

Technotiger, thanks for your prompt reply.

Meshuga 16:33 26 Oct 2006

Tech, thanks too for the link. Meshuga.

Meshuga 17:05 26 Oct 2006

Since posting the above I have come across a CD Of Acronis Partition Expert. Does anyone have knowledge of this product or should I stick to Partition Magic? It is a cd by a software company named Altova and was on the front cover of Personal Computer World some time ago.

ed-0 17:13 26 Oct 2006

" front cover of Personal Computer World some time ago."

Acronis is an excellent programme to partition a hard drive and more.

But be aware that most cover disks have limitations in what they can do and are usually time limited. In other words it may have expired.

Technotiger 17:26 26 Oct 2006

I wouls advise you to go for Partition Magic as in my click here.

Meshuga 17:32 26 Oct 2006

ed-0, thanks for reply, no mention on disk of time limitation but will play safe and stick with PM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?