partitioning external hard drive

Hucky 11:06 12 Feb 2012

hi am i able to do this...i want one half to be fat 32 and the other ntfs because i already have data on there i don`t want to loose thankyou

northumbria61 11:32 12 Feb 2012

As far as I aware you can -

Plug in your USB hard drive into your PC then right click on your my computer icon and left click on "manage". Choose storage then disk management (Local) and you should see your drive. Right click for options and partition the drive and choose how much you want to be Fat 32 then format that partition. Do the same with what you left allocated for NTFS and format that and you're done

johndrew 11:38 12 Feb 2012

As is said above I believe it is possible, but you need to be aware of some of the potential risks and pitfalls.

Hucky 11:50 12 Feb 2012

when i right click on the drive it says delete partition?

johndrew 12:16 12 Feb 2012

There are many informative articles on how to go about achieving what you want to do; see below. However, it is very likely you will need to start from scratch with your needs which will mean deleting the existing partition and all the data it contains. So your first job should be to back up everything on the drive that you wish to keep.

For video

For instructions

For more detailed instructions

bremner 12:30 12 Feb 2012

If you are trying to do this with your G4 then you are going to need something like gparted click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?