Partitioning for beginners

Willow12 19:07 31 May 2003

Having checked postings on this subject I have decided to partition my hard drive. At the moment I haven't got any partitioning software, which leads to my first question.

I use Windows XP (home edition) and wondered if this limited me to Partition Magic 8 or will one of its predecessors do the job on XP? Cost is my main motive for this as I probably won't use it too much, but want it to be a lot more flexible than just doing it through XP.

Also linked to this I need advice on a good Backup utility as again, I have none! I wouldn't like to start partitioning before I had backed up, thus the link.

Any general leads on partitioning will also be most welcome.

Finally is there a GoBack version for XP, as so many of the advisor experts seem to rely on it it would appear to be a good thing to have.

I have an 80GB HDD and my PC expertise is 2/10. Although that may be a little generous, especially if VoG only gives himself 5/10!! Come on VoG don't be so modest!

STEVE71163 19:12 31 May 2003

I bought partition magic about a month ago now and you do get data keeper with it as well now so i considered it a good investment. I think argos has it for £39.99 at the moment! Xp does have a restore facility which has saved me on a few ocasions :0)

Willow12 19:17 31 May 2003

I am not looking fo prices for Partition Magic 8 (I can get it for £34.99 by the way). Just not sure about spending that much for something I may only use a few times, if that!

leo49 19:18 31 May 2003

PM7 is OK for XP[version8 monkeys around with the GUI and adds support for up to 160gb.Personally I wouldn't touch Go-Back with your bargepole but I'm a Drive Image fan.

Regards

Lú-tzé 19:23 31 May 2003

Well, if you are willing to reinstall Windows from scratch, you can use the partitioning tools that come with XP.

Willow12 19:26 31 May 2003

Exactly what I don't want to do!

Willow12 20:12 31 May 2003

up

otubby1 23:07 31 May 2003

I've just upgraded to XP Pro. What happened to Drivespace??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone