Partitioning

laurie53 08:26 19 Apr 2007

OK, guys. Definitive answer if possible please.

I was always brought up to believe that politeness and partitioning should be the aim of every civilised human being.

Politeness has long gone since I became a grumpy old git, but what are the current thoughts on partitioning?

I normally partition a big disk to give myself one for the operating system, one for programmes and one for data, including docs, pictures, backups etc. the theory being that if the disc goes I should at least be able to salvage something.

Now, am I stuck in a nineties time warp? Is this still a good idea, or could I just as safely use folders?

Laurie

BurrWalnut 08:46 19 Apr 2007

I agree with you although it's only second best to having a separate HDD.

One major difference between the nineties and today is that many households have more than one PC, so they are able to copy data across the network to create backups.

Technotiger 08:52 19 Apr 2007

Hi, I personally never partition my drives - I have one internal and two external ranging from 80Gb to 320Gb, none of which are partitioned. I do use Acronis True Image and keep an up-to-date image on one of the external drives - just in case!

Rigga 09:05 19 Apr 2007

Partitioning will not help if your hard drive fails.

If it does fail you will lose all partitions not just certain ones.

Always keeping a backup separate from your main hard drive is the only way to ensure you do not lose information if your hard drive goes belly up.

HTH R.

laurie53 17:44 19 Apr 2007

Not strictly true in my experience.

It is still sometimes possible to see and work with a partition on a failed drive

Laurie

Pamy 18:01 19 Apr 2007

All of my failures have been with Windows Operating System. So, I am now looking to partition my new HDD as 15Gb for the operating system only, All of my progs and data on my "D" partition. Hopefully I will only have to replace the operating system in future.

Rigga 18:05 19 Apr 2007

laurie53 then it was not a failed hard drive. :)

It was probably the partition table that got corrupted which can happen.

I partition myself, but not for any safety reasons, I do it so my backup regime is easier.

R.

Woolwell 18:14 19 Apr 2007

I'm with Technotiger in that I don't partition but do keep good back ups. One advantage of partitioning is for dual boot systems.

I do wonder if partitioning causes more problems than it solves. You only have to look at the number of threads seeking help about partitioning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?