Partitioned system C & D and system restore

Daisy22 15:38 10 Feb 2006

I've been trying to help my friend who knows even less than me about PCs to do a system restore.
She has windows XP, and each time I've tried to restore it always comes back saying it wasn't possible.
Is it because she has two partitions with her system?
How can we get round this, i.e. will it be ok to turn off the partition in each system during the process of system restore, without her losing any of her files etc.

Skyver 15:42 10 Feb 2006

Having two partitions shouldn't make any difference, even if they both have useable installations of XP installed on them. Can you post the exact error message you get?

ventanas 16:21 10 Feb 2006

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to have System Restore enabled on a drive where you are only storing files. You could add some data to the drive, update some files or do anything else. When you run SR for whatever reason you could lose your latest data as everyting reverts.

Skyver 16:24 10 Feb 2006

Agreed, even though SR is supposed to leave documents
alone.

Daisy22 18:33 10 Feb 2006

It goes through the process of system restore, but once it has re-started the pc there is a message in the system restore box that simply says "it was unable to restore" and below in red is the date I tried to restore it to.

I don't understand anything about partitioned drives so just wondered if it was because of this it wouldn't restore.

She has been having quite a few problems one way or another with her PC, I thought this might be the easiest way to correct it.

She did have incredimail a while back and thought she'd removed it, but told me that she got error messages saying "can't remove..... it might affect how programmes operate", but she carried on regardless. Hence, me trying to restore it back to before this date so I can remove incredimail properly for her (hopefully)

woodchip 18:43 10 Feb 2006

As she got System Restore CD. Not windows Sys'Restore. As you can restore to factory settings if she as. Do not change partitions this as nothing to do with Win’Restore not working and the D:\Partition may have drivers and software on it that as to be loaded from the Factory CD loader

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires