Partitioned hard drive

The Honest Men 17:31 13 Jan 2009

Hi,

I have a hard drive partitioned into 3 I,J amd K! How can i get this back to just one hard drive?

Many thanks.

Graham. 17:36 13 Jan 2009

Format it?

Jim_F 17:38 13 Jan 2009

If theres no data in J & K then right click computer, select Manage and the Disk Management.

You should be able to delete J&K and then extend I to fill the space.

If you have data you want to keep then a tool like Partition Magic is needed.

Please make a backup of your data as any procedure to change disk partition information has a certain amount of risk.

Jim_F 17:38 13 Jan 2009

PS - I'm assuming XP or Vista !

Pineman100 17:40 13 Jan 2009

You need partition management software to delete the partitions. I believe Vista has this built-in (but I run XP, so I'm not 100% certain).

For a free dowload of partition management software click here

The Honest Men 17:40 13 Jan 2009

No data in J and K. hOW WOULD I DO THE EXTEND BIT?

The Honest Men 17:43 13 Jan 2009

Oh it's Vista home edition!!!

The Honest Men 17:56 13 Jan 2009

sORRY WINDOWS xp Home edition.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 13 Jan 2009

How to use Disk Management
To start Disk Management:

1. Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
3. In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view. To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use.

How to delete a partition or a logical drive
To delete a partition or logical drive:

1. In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want to delete, and then click Delete Partition or Delete Logical Drive.
2. Click Yes when you are prompted to delete the partition or logical drive. The partition or logical drive is deleted.

Important

* When you delete a partition or a logical drive, all the data on that partition or logical drive, and the partition or the logical drive, are deleted.
* You cannot delete the system partition, boot partition, or a partition that contains the active paging (swap) file.
* You cannot delete an extended partition unless the extended partition is empty. All logical drives in the extended partition must be deleted before you can delete the extended partition.

To extend the remaining partition you will need third party software like partition logic click here

DieSse 18:17 13 Jan 2009

Before you think of doing anything at all with a partition with data in it - move it or back it up. If partition management of any kind goes awry (and it can), you'll lose all data in the partitions you're messing with.

And no - formatting isn't the thing to do - formatting merely sets up the file system in an existing partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?