Partitioned driver re format

immer 23:22 03 Jun 2007

I have an old PC with a W98/Linux partition. I cannot get into W98 anymore as it starts up wrong partition. How do I get to the BIOS to put it back to W98, & how do I format out the Linus partition please. We've forgotten what to do...!

PalaeoBill 23:57 03 Jun 2007

Depending upon what model of PC you have, holding down a specific key whilst powering up the PC generally gives an option for entering the BIOS. The DEL key is probably the most common but I have had some PC's that want the ESC key or F1 key instead.(I presume that you want to get into the BIOS to allow a boot from floppy to cut ahead of boot from HDD).

FDISK is the utility that you need to remove the Linux partition. Boot into DOS from a floppy disk and run FDISK.

Alternatively you can run FDISK from within Linux.
click here(8)

mocha 00:00 04 Jun 2007

You need win98 startup disk (if you haven't got it) click here

Start up in DOS and type at command prompt fdisk /mbr

I think you will have to keep your other partitions, unless you have a partition prog that works in win98

(Linux usually makes 2/3 partitions) but you can alway's format them in win98 and use as data storage.

immer 11:20 04 Jun 2007

So are you saying if I get into W98 I can format out the partitions & the Linux & clean to a fresh start on all the disk ....?

PalaeoBill 12:13 05 Jun 2007

Sorry immer, I seem to have lost a day somewhere. (old age).

Yes, if you make a Win98 book diskette using mocha's link you can boot into a command prompt and run Fdisk. If you want to re-use the Linux partition from Win98 I am fairly sure that you need to delete it and re-create it in Fdisk; I don't think you can just format it.

Fdisk will let you set the Win98 partition as the boot partition and allow you to delete the existing Linux partition and create one or more new FAT or FAT32 ones. The new partition(s) can then be formatted using the Format program from the Win98 disk or from within Win98 when you reboot.

PalaeoBill 12:14 05 Jun 2007

Or you can delete all of the partitions, create one new one for the whole disk and re-install from scratch.

mocha 20:33 05 Jun 2007

If you follow my last message it will remove the boot start up prompt put there by Linux, usually Lilo or Grub. This will then revert to the original Operating system that was on your computer which I presume was Win98.

You need then to see if win98 can see the other drives on the machine, created by Linux. Go to 'my computer' and see if they are listed eg. (d: e:). If they are then you can Format individual drives and use them as data storage.

If you have a partition program for win98 you could use that to make d: and e: into one hard drive called d:. You will then have drive c: and d:

You cannot make it into just one drive c: unless you start from scratch. Use fdisk to remove all partitions. Format drive and then reinstall win98.

PalaeoBill 21:05 05 Jun 2007

Nice answer mocha.

immer 11:01 10 Jun 2007

Very many thanks for your help all. Problem resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?