Partition in XP and Win 7 to see partitions?

compumac 15:42 03 Oct 2010

Should I not be able to partition an external drive using Partition Magic V8 in Win XP and then connect that external drive to a Win 7 PC for that PC to recognise the partitions? Because I have done that and I have run into problems

gengiscant 17:03 03 Oct 2010

Would be helpful if you could provide more details of your problems.

compumac 17:09 03 Oct 2010

Formatted external drive on XP machine. Connected to Win 7 PC (which normally starts quickly) and it just hung. Rebooted with external drive disconnected and the Win 7 fired up OK. Connected external drive and it crawled along. Went into Windows Explorer and it could see the drive but the rotating drive icon just kept going on and on. This is a brand new external drive and I will try to format it again with Partition Magic in the XP machine. I have connected another external drive partitioned in XP and using Partition Magic and that is read without difficulty on the Win 7 PC.

robin_x 19:15 03 Oct 2010

Format and partition it on your new machine.

Don't use explorer if it's hanging.

Use Partition Wizard or Paragon Partitinon Manager 2010 Free Edition and see if they work/hang.

click here

Or W7 built-in tool.

Right click Computer icon. Select Manage/Disk Management.

woodchip 19:24 03 Oct 2010

You will have problems as when you Partition a Drive it writes to the MBR on both Drives if another is fitted and if you change them that's what the problem is

compumac 13:09 04 Oct 2010

External drive found to be faulty and replaced with unit that works fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?