Partition Magic error 626 -external USB Hard drive

compumac 13:57 19 Feb 2007

I have Partition Magic V8 and have partitioned a USB connected external 120Gb hard drive into two partitions. One for backup data and one for a Ghost Image. This was carried successfully and has been used for three months or so. Today I decided to modify the size of the partitions and the PC rebooted for Partition Magic to do its work but I received an error message “Error 626 - the drive is not visible from boot mode,” and the system rebooted into Windows. I can understand the reason for this but would ask two questions.
As I was able to create the partitions originally I would suppose that I could delete the contents of the partitions and then change the sizes, as this, if I remember correctly was carried out within the Windows environment.

1) Can I overcome this to change partition sizes whilst retaining the partition content?
2) Does it mean that in the event of a problem and I try to reinstall the backed up image of the System that I would not be able to unless that image was on an internal drive and therefore visible on boot up?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:31 19 Feb 2007

Check BIOS settings so that USB is enabled for DOS and legacy settings are enabled.

compumac 17:07 19 Feb 2007

Thanks for reply, but I cannot find any reference to USB seetting in the BIOS.The only entry refering to USB is - USB Kb/MS.

compumac 08:04 20 Feb 2007

bump

xania 08:56 20 Feb 2007

There is no reason why you cannot do your changes from within Windows. In fact, you can even amend your C:\ partition from within the OS. Many changes will automatically reboot the PC, but I don't think any to a USB connection require this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?