partition magic and Dell!

yaesu 17:29 01 Aug 2006

Hi folks, I've just installed partition magic and tried to partition my hard drive prior to installing linux. It returns the following,"the selected disk contains one or more partitions which cannot be moved. To complete the task use operations menu rather than a wizard" But in the operations menu create partition is greyed out so can't be used. The machine is a Dell 1100 with a recovery partition, is this the problem? and if so can this be removed, i've a Ghost backup of the complete drive saved on a second drive so could presumably recover from this if it all goes horribly wrong! Thanks, and regards, yaesu.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:45 01 Aug 2006

The machine is a Dell 1100 with a recovery partition, is this the problem? and if so can this be removed.

Yes

boot from a floppy and fdisk format the drive.

Remember you will lose everything.

yaesu 18:02 01 Aug 2006

Hi, tnx Fruit Bat /\0/\ but can I not just remove the offending partition and leave the rest alone? Sorry if I sound thick, it's something I just have to live with!! yaesu

yaesu 19:17 01 Aug 2006

prehaps I should have said I wish to install Ubuntu as a dual boot with XP and also the recovery 'partition'doesn't have a seperate drive letter. ie it's all on C. yaesu

SANTOS7 19:30 01 Aug 2006

click here

Have you thought about adding a second HDD like one in link maybe, you could install your dual bot option to it,add some storage space still safe in the knowledge your XP installation is untouched...

SANTOS7 19:30 01 Aug 2006

or boot even!!

yaesu 11:59 02 Aug 2006

tnx santos7, will tick as resolved and return later if necessary, thanks everyone, yaesu

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?