Partition Magic damaged the C:\ drive

xania 17:45 13 May 2010

Without going into all thre gloomy detailks of the problems besetting my friend's PC Partition Magic hung during an operation to reduce the size of the C:\ drive and the entire disc cannot now be read i.e. Windows cannot load and the data cannot be read through another PC so that the data might be saved before r4einstalling Windows

Any ideas how I might be able to get the data back, please?

rawprawn 17:52 13 May 2010

Have you tried an external caddy?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 13 May 2010

Try booting from an XP CD to Recovery console

then run type

fixmbr

then fixboot

exit and see if windows will boot

Zeppelyn 19:22 13 May 2010

What OS was Partition Magic running on as if Vista or 7 then Partition Magic is to old to properly read the version of NTFS used by them and will see the partitions as corrupt.

You could try running chkdsk /f /r on the drive but its a long shot.

Not sure about programs like Recuva etc as I have never used one.

xania 19:46 13 May 2010

rawprawn - was running it from external caddy to try to copy the files acfrosws.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - thank you for but unfortunately this made no difference. fixmbr did warn me that the system had a non-standard or invalid mbr and the system claimed to have written as new mbr successfully. fixboot merely confirmed that I wanted to write a new boot sector/ This reported a corrupt boot sector, checked trhe file system type (confirmed NTFS) and then claimed to have successully wrtitten a new boot sector. But when I put the disk back in the external caddy and attach to my working PC it reports back is not not acceissbile - The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

xania 19:47 13 May 2010

Zeppelyn - all PCs still on XP Pro but in fact was running is DOS mode rather than installed on the machine.

xania 18:00 31 May 2010

HHD turned out to be a total write-off. Cost a bomb to get the data back as what he thought was a data backup turned out to be a part system backup. Hmpph.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache