Partition Magic 8

Ivor_Monkey 17:46 20 Sep 2004

My second hard disk (seagate 160 gb) shows various partitions (including recovered data) when using wndows explorer and PM8 rescue disks -as it should. But I find that when using PM8 thru widnows the disk is just showing as "bad"- no separate partitions. I was messing around with PM8, but partitions are still there when using windows exploer ad rescue disks and are accessible.

I want to install XP and programs on 40gb partition on disk 2 and then pics, music and doc on separate partitions. Disk 1 (maxtor 40gb) currently has old copy of XP, but I intend to use this disk to store image.

Questions:
1) Because PM8 thru windows is showing disk 2 as bad do I need to reformat the entire disk?

2) Do I need to switch drives from primary master and slave if the current boot is from disk 1, which I will eventually use as the backup?

Thanks

Ivor_Monkey 21:23 20 Sep 2004

bump for the night shift

keith-236785 22:02 20 Sep 2004

it may be possible that the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the second disk has become corrupt making PM2 report it as bad.

download a windows98se startup disk from click here, write to a floppy, then reboot with the floppy in the drive (you will need your boot order set to floppy first).

at the menu, press shift+F5 to goto dos prompt A:>

type D:

prompt should change to

D:>

then type fdisk mbr

that should restore the mbr of the second disk (replace D: with the letter of your second drive)

Ivor_Monkey 09:06 21 Sep 2004

Thanks, but do I really use a windows98se startup disk when I will be putting XP on disk 2 and XP already exists on disk 1?

Please confirm. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer