Partition improperly dismounted

lermontov 13:06 18 Jun 2005

XP unable to boot because of above. Recovery disk (from Evesham, 4 years old, warranty run out) will not work (even after downloading floppy setup disks to correct error that means your administrator password will not work and not give you access to the recovery option).

Using info from:

click here

When you scroll down to the blue screen options, the first option to Enter and setup XP (after putting in the recovery disk as instructed) does not give me my XP Home in the list (as it does the XP Pro in the example) but merely the partition details and nothing more - so it's F3 to get out otherwise an enter will rewrite the whole drive...disaster. Priceless personal files etc. gone gone gone if I were to do that.

Using the second option, to repair by pressing R, (and then the admin password but just Enter since if not using the floppies it will not work because your admin password won't be recognized because of some microsoft oversight...thanks Bill) brings up the C prompt. Then what are you supposed to do? there is no instructions where to go from there at that C prompt in order to effect a repair of the OS and correct that improperly dismounted partition.

Any ideas - other than the buying of new drive and switching drives after loading new XP onto new drive making image of files on old drive and slaving and switching etc.?

This last is the final option for me, neither the money nor the expertise to do it right now.

I have posted another thread related to this, but no joy.

Did manage to correct the lost cluster, but unable to do anything to repair the partition improperly dismounted because of the obstacles above.

Joe R 13:10 18 Jun 2005

May help

click here

lermontov 13:32 18 Jun 2005

Thanks Joe, it covers a lot of the territory, but doesn't seem to offer a solution without having to purchase a new drive, if I read it right.

Is there no solution known of without buying a new drive anyone?

Number 7 13:38 18 Jun 2005

Have a look here click here

Typing chkdsk /? at the command prompt will give you info about the /r and /p options.

As in the article, you could try a plain chkdsk first and see what that says- it will give you a clue as to which other option to use.

Good luck.

woodchip 14:16 18 Jun 2005

have you tried killdisk click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie